Sunday, September 20, 2009

Vegan on Vacation

It's been a hectic few days here at the Brooks-house... so I apologize for my absence.

And now, I'm getting ready to leave on my first real vacation in over 2 years! I'm so excited to get back to Seattle, the city where I became vegan. There are so many great restaurant options in the Seattle area; The Teapot Vegetarian House, Than Brothers' Vietnamese, and Cafe Flora... to name a few.

So how do we travel to a new city as veg*ns? I always start by visiting the Happy Cow website (see link below) to see their restaurant guide. If that doesn't work out, there's always Subway! I'm only half-kidding... Although not exactly "fine-dining", Subway is a wonderful option for fresh vegetables!

Not only do I try to check out restaurants ahead of time, but if I'm staying with friends or a place with a kitchen, a quick grocery run as soon as I get into town is a must on my list (don't forget soy creamer for your coffee and Earth Balance "butter spread")!

One last thing... for your travels. If you're driving, taking a cooler along with fresh fruit and veggies is a nice choice. If you're flying, stock up on granola bars, trail mix, and/or dried fruit. Just remember-always give yourself a few options so you don't get stuck hungry in a strange place!

No comments: