Sunday, March 13, 2011

What's In Jen's Fridge?

Let's play detective.  By special request, my favorite "meat free alternatives"... or you know by now what I call: F'EAT!

Before I get into this, let me again claim that this is what we vegans call "junk food."  Faux meats are processed, and therefore immediately less desirable for those looking to focus on whole or raw cuisine.  That being said, these are the ones I keep in my freezer at ALL TIMES.  Just in case, you know, I have an omnivore for dinner.  ;)

This is the Boca I spoke of last week... super yum.  And to be perfectly honest, just as good (if not better) than the Tyson chicken patties my grandmother fed me as a kid.  These have flavor!  And if you want an authentic "fast food experience", and Vegenaise and dill pickles...  Voila!  I can't seem to remember where I picked these up, but it was probably Whole Foods. 

Only at Trader Joe's.  The veggie MASALA burger.  YUM.  I do not like mushroom burgers, and I just won't enjoy something that's trying to imitate beef.  With these you'll taste (and see) potatoes, carrots, peppers, and corn.  They will be a favorite if you like Indian cuisine. 

Last night's dinner.  I try to pair up these "riblets" with something to create a down home-type meal.  Corn and tater tots are often the accompaniments!  The sauce is great, a little sweet; just like I like it.  A big hit with the omni's, and you get get Morningstar products all over the place!  Safeway and other big chains.   

Another chicken alternative, and also only at Trader Joe's.  Honestly not my first choice as a "go-to" but they are convenient in the oven or microwave, and you can easily chop them and add to a salad!  :)


(Alright I forgot to take a pic myself, but this one is really in my fridge.)  Perfect for tacos!  Oh, and it comes in "regular" flavor, if you like it for your spaghetti sauce.  Seen at Basha's, Sunflower, and Whole Foods.

And here we are...  I've saved the BEST for last.  Kung Pao F'eat!  Woo Hoo!!!  Another favorite among my omni friends, this makes a really good stir fry.  Just like on the box, add peppers & peanuts (I also add bok choy), pair with brown jasmine rice, and you've got yourself quite a meal.  *Joan, if you're reading this, I know you hated it...  but in fairness to my reader(s), it was the sauce/flavor issue and not the f'eat.  ps.  I love the sauce.  I have found so far only at Whole Foods.

And there you have it!  Some of my faves... But Go!  Experiment!  Live long and prosper!

1 comment:

guineagirl said...

On my shopping list! Thanks, Jen.