Sunday, October 4, 2009

Vegan Perks

There are so many things I love about being vegan. Really. Knowing that I am making a difference in my own little (or not so little?) way makes me feel more connected to every living thing around me. Maybe a tad selfish, but it's a cool feeling, what can I say?

Yesterday I was able to benefit from my veganism in another way. I went to Whole Foods after my last class to purchase soy milk, soy "creamer", and Vegan Oregon Chai. After 3 classes taught, all by 2pm, I admit I was tired and distracted by the time I arrived home. I realized about 3-4 hours later, that I never brought in my groceries-I left my items in the back seat of my car! *whoops*

I would like to say I've never done this before, but that would be a big fat vegan-lie... I can say, though-that when you don't drink cow's milk, you don't have to worry about it going bad!!! I just got out to my car, brought my stuff in and threw it in the fridge, without a concern about this stuff killing me later on. This also comes in handy when dealing with leftovers. There is no special temperature that you need to keep vegetables before packing up and storing. Just throw it in the fridge! easy-peasy.

Now, I can't say that vegan food doesn't go bad, or that you CAN'T get sick from it... but I think I can safely say your chances are a LOT smaller when you don't eat animal protein. Vegan=1. Omnivore=0.

No comments: