Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wisdom from the Birthday Girl...

Today is my dear friend Aminda's birthday. Aminda is newly vegan, and a beautiful example of the freedom and joy a vegan diet can bring about (fyi, she was fabulous and joyful even before this).

In a Facebook discussion of a video I posted on my page concerning Eli Lilly and the production of BGH (Bovine Growth Hormone, or rBST), Aminda shared a wonderful sentiment about seeing things from a new perspective; that of a mama cow in a dairy farm...

"...I had a moment today where ice cream sounded really good...and I swear to you I choked up - here's what went through my head...imagine a mother...she has a baby and that baby is immediately taken from her, she longs for her child but the only thing she has left is the milk in her breast...someone takes that milk forceably from her. and then she is given hormones wherein she must continually give her mother's milk against her will....never to nurture her child and possible never to have another one. All the while getting sicker and weaker...
Stopping rBGH is the only logical, reasonable, human thing to do."

The thought is devastating, isn't it? I invite you to remember this the next time you reach for a glass of milk...

*** YOU can visit Aminda online @ "www.vitruviayoga.com" ***

Thank you, Aminda, for giving us something to think about. Oh, and Happy Birthday!!!

No comments: